When a loved one passes away, the last thing you want to spend your time doing is searching for a life insurance policy. It is not uncommon for the surviving family members and beneficiaries to be unaware of the details regarding a life insurance policy, including the company who issued it.
As part of your search you should:
- Contact any insurance agents that your loved one has used.
- Contact banks that your loved one has used. Is there a safe deposit box?
- Contact any probabe or business attorneys that your loved one has used.
- Contact past employers, trade associations, and unions for your loved one. These frequently offer life insurance to their members.
- Contact your loved one's credit card companies. Maybe they sold a policy to him or her.
- Ask family and friends. They may have information about your loved one's life insurance policies.
- If your loved one owned a business ask his or her partners and/or employees.
- Search through your loved one's file cabinets, storage boxes, and bank deposit boxes, if applicable.
- Search through any address books that may contain helpful clues.
- Contact any professionals that your loved one has worked with in the past, such as accountants, attorneys, and financial advisors.
While there is no central database to locate life insurance policies, you can employ a private service to help you find the policy information. These companies will search for lost insurance policies for a fee.
Another great source is the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, which can provide you with contact information for state insurance personnel who can help identify possible insurers that may have issued the policy. Florida’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property is also worth looking into. If the life insurance company is aware of your loved one’s death, but can’t locate the beneficiaries, then it may have deposited the death benefit with the state.
The article, Locating a Lost Life Insurance Policy, has more information and strategies regarding finding missing policies.
You can reach Miami Life Insurance Claims Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email J.P. directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.