For most people, their home is their most valuable asset. Homes get filled with a lifetime of valuables and personal mementos. A fire can destroy all of this in a matter of minutes.
There are several things that you can do to help protect your home from a fire and its consequences.
- Make sure that your home's roof is fire-resistant. If your roof catches on fire, the home will burn fast.
- Make sure that all smoke detectors are operational. You should test them monthly.
- Make sure that you have fire extinguishers throughout the entire house. Make sure that everyone in the house knows how to operate them.
- Make sure that you have the right fire insurance coverage. Meet with your agent to discuss this. Keep a copy of your policy off-site or in the cloud.
- Make sure that you keep an inventory of all of your contents, keep the inventory updated, and keep photos and video of your contents and home.
- Make sure that you report any fire to your insurance company immediately. Consult with a an experienced fire insurance claims lawyer immediately.
Unfortunately, many insurance companies try to take advantage of their customers after a fire when they are most vulnerable.
You can reach Miami Fire Damage Insurance Claims Attorney J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email J.P. directly at [email protected].