Life insurance provides family and loved ones with some financial security in the event the policyholder dies. Filing a life insurance claim after the death of a loved is emotionally difficult and stressful. However, filing a life insurance claim as soon as possible following the death will help alleviate some of the financial burden the deceased wanted his beneficiaries to avoid when he or she decided to purchase the policy. This is especially true in cases where the deceased was the primary bread winner.
Following these tips when filing a life insurance claim will make the process a little easier:
- Locate the life insurance policy.
- Contact the life insurance agent that sold the policy. Inform the agent about the death and try to engage his or her assistance in filing the claim.
- Contact the insurance company and file the claim. Be prepared to answer questions about the manner of death. If the deceased died during the two year contestability period, consider engaging an experienced life insurance claims lawyer from the outset of the claim and before making contact with the insurance company.
- Obtain a copy of the death certificate.
- After the claim has been filed, the insurance company will require certain forms to be completed. Complete the paperwork promptly. Accurately answer all questions. Call the insurance company if you don't understand a question. Provide the insurance company with all the completed paperwork along with the death certificate. Send the package certified mail, return receipt requested, or submit the paperwork electronically. Keep copies of all of the records that you are providing the insurance company along with the names and contact information for the adjuster(s). The insurance company may contact you for further questioning or clarification. Answer all questions to the best of your ability.
- Follow-up with the insurance company regularly to obtain status of the claim.
- Contact an experienced life insurance claims lawyer if your claim is delayed or denied.
Following the above tips will help beneficiaries cope with the additional responsibility of filing a life insurance claim during a difficult time.
You can reach Miami Life Insurance Claims Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email J.P. directly at [email protected].