According to data published by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), there are approximately 16,100 nursing homes with nearly 1.7 million beds with an occupancy rate of 86% or nearly 1.5 million resident patients in the U.S.
As unimaginable as it is to fathom, sexual abuse of nursing home residents or patients occurs frequently, with an average of nearly 2 nursing home sexual abuse complaints filed every day in the U.S. Unfortunately, there exist certain sexual deviants and predators that prefer to prey on the elderly due to their inability to defend themselves. This inability may be due to their age, weak health or illness, or mentally incapacitated state.
Perpetrators of nursing home sexual abuse cases are often times the same administrators, staff members and employees entrusted with the care and well being of our loved ones. Other times, the violators include other nursing home residents or visitors thereof. In some cases, strangers gain access into the facility for purposes of committing these heinous acts.
Common causes or contributors that can lead to nursing home sexual abuse can include:
- Failure to conduct background checks on employees;
- Failure to properly supervise employees;
- Failure to screen potential residents or patients;
- Failure to properly supervise residents or patients;
- Failure to properly train employees on how to spot for signs of sexual abuse;
- Failure to provide appropriate and competent security to ensure the safety of residents from sexual assaults,
- Failure to monitor the access of strangers or visitors to the facility;
- Failure to maintain a record keeping system of sexual abuse complaints;
- Failure to remove an employee or resident that is accused of sexual abuse or assault until investigation is complete;
- Failure to report sexual abuse allegations to proper authorities and to notify family members.
You can reach Personal Injury Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo directly at [email protected].