According to nationally compiled statistics, 30% of nursing homes engage in abuse and neglect of their residents and patients. In addition, it is estimated that an astonishing 80% of nursing home abuse and neglect incidents are never even reported to appropriate authorities and therefore are not included into statistical reporting data.
Nursing home abuse and neglect can occur in any nursing home, assisted living or long term care facility. Nursing home staff and employees are responsible for most abuse and neglect cases, but other perpetrators include other residents and occupants.
Common causes or contributors that can lead to nursing home neglect or abuse include:
- Failure to hire sufficient staff to care for its resident patients;
- Failure to train staff and employees in the proper care of its resident patients;
- Failure to adequately provide resources in order to provide basic standard of care services for its resident patients;
- Failure to conduct background checks on employees with criminal record or a history of committing sexual abuse or assaults;
- Failure to properly supervise employees;
- Failure to properly supervise residents or patients;
- Failure to properly train employees on how to spot for signs of negligence or abuse;
- Failure to provide appropriate and competent security to ensure the safety of residents from abusive acts;
- Failure to monitor the access of strangers or visitors to the facility;
- Failure to maintain a record keeping system of abuse complaints;
- Failure to remove an employee or resident that is accused of abuse or assault until investigation is completed.
You can reach Miami Personal Injury Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo directly at [email protected].