What should you do if a contractor comes to your door offering to repair your home and manage the claims process?

This scenario is a recent development because contractors and sales representatives increasingly appear at the doors of property owners following a disaster.  These opportunists claim that they are qualified to analyze complex insurance claims issues and negotiate the claims process with your insurance company.  These individuals are not licensed to handle insurance claims in any jurisdiction.  These types of contractors or sales people do not necessarily have your best interest in mind.

Can you obtain insurance funds to cover temporary displacement while your home is repaired?

If you are forced to move out while your home is repaired, there are many additional costs that might be incurred.  While the cost of the hotel is one obvious expense, you might also incur additional expenses for dining out, transportation for a longer commute, and other related expenses that would not have been incurred without the damage to your home.  You may be entitled to obtain “Additional Living Expenses” (ALE) to cover the additional costs associated with being relocated from your home.

How do you determine when to have your homeowner's insurance policy re-reviewed?

There are many circumstances that merit reviewing your homeowner's policy.  When you make upgrades or renovations like adding a second story to your home, you might want to increase your policy limits. Similarly, installation of a trampoline or swimming pool might merit increasing your liability coverage.  When you purchase personal property with substantial monetary value like jewelry or rare art, you might want to review your coverage to determine if you need supplemental coverage for these high ticket items.  Many policies limit coverage for these types of items unless an insured purchases an endorsement.  Alternatively, you might want to review your policy every 6-12 months to determine if you need to make any adjustments.  Some changes can even merit a reduction in your insurance premium.  If you have an alarm system installed, for example, this might reduce your insurance premium.

You can reach Miami Insurance Claims Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo directly at [email protected].

J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo
J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo, P.A.
Post A Comment