When your home suffers significant structural damage because of a severe storm or other peril, you may be faced with severe financial pressure especially if your home is not habitable. When policyholders are armed with more information about what to expect during the claims process, this knowledge can demystify the insurance claims process.  This blog post provides answers to some more questions about property damage claims.

Why do you need to provide a “sworn proof of loss” form after submitting a claim for property damage?

If you have homeowners insurance that covers a peril like a hurricane or fire, you will be required to comply with certain post-loss conditions.  When a homeowner fails to comply with these conditions, the insurance carrier will frequently use non-compliance as a basis for denying the claim.  One of the most important post-loss conditions is the requirement that the insured provide a sworn proof of loss.  The form must detail your damages and the value of the loss.

Do policyholders need special wind coverage?

Although a number of policies contain coverage for perils related to storms like hail or wind, you might need to purchase special coverage if you live in areas particularly prone to such risks like near the coastline.

Does your flood coverage pay for damage to your basement?

Flood coverage will provide compensation for certain types of losses involving basements, but some forms of loss to personal property or the structure are not covered.  Appliances and other items like washing machines, freezers, HVAC systems, dryers and certain utilities might be covered under your policy, but furniture, carpeting and flooring might not be covered.

Will you be required to pay more than one deductible if you make a claim for both structural damage and personal property damage?


How do you take care of your finances and documents in the event of a hurricane or other form of national disaster?

When a hurricane or other serious natural disaster occurs, your access to financial institutions or ATMs might be limited.  If a hurricane is predicted, you might want to withdraw cash prior to the storm and ensure that you have a credit card with available credit to obtain necessities and supplies.  Financial and legal documents should be kept in a safe place that you can access if the city is shutdown.

What do you do if you do not have enough homeowners insurance to cover the cost associated with replacing or repairing your home?

Depending on the circumstances, there may be a range of other resources that you can tap to cover the shortfall.  The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) might provide low interest financing or emergency financial assistance.  Another option might be to declare a loss on your income taxes.  There also is a possibility that you might have other kinds of insurance that will apply to the loss.

You can reach Miami Insurance Claims Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo directly at [email protected].

J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo
J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo, P.A.
Post A Comment