Miami Lawyer on Uninsured and Underinsured Auto Accidents

J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo
Connect with me
Founder of J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo, P.A.

J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo, Miami and Florida Uninsured and Underinsured Auto Insurance Lawyer

Every Florida vehicle owner is required to register their vehicle(s) with the state and purchase insurance. The minimum amount of insurance coverage required is $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 property damage liability (PDL). Unfortunately, according to data from the Insurance Information Institute, Florida has the second highest percentage of uninsured drivers in the country, at 23.8%. With some 20 million registered vehicles in the state, this data clearly suggests that almost five million vehicles are uninsured. This is an astounding number and suggests that in the event on an accident, there is almost a one-in-four chance that the other vehicle will be uninsured.

Various Types of Insurance in Florida

  • Personal Injury Protection – Also called No Fault Insurance, PIP covers the policyholder regardless of fault. This means you are covered up to the amount of your PIP limits for medical bills and lost wages regardless of who caused the car accident. Your PIP also covers household members, your child and certain passengers who do not have PIP insurance if they do not own a vehicle.
  • Property Damage Liability – Also called PDL, in a car crash, this covers you and family members for damage caused to other people’s property up to the limits of the policy.
  • Bodily Injury Liability – Also called BIL or BI, this important insurance protects you and family members in the event you cause an accident resulting in serious injuries or death. BIL or BI also pays for your attorney if you are sued by the injured party.

Understanding Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage

As stated above, almost one in four drivers are completely uninsured in Florida. So what happens to a driver who is injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver?

Thankfully, Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM, UIM) is available to protect victims of accidents caused by uninsured and underinsured motorists. This insurance protects you and any passengers involved in an accident caused by an uninsured and underinsured driver.

  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) protects you (the policyholder) and any passengers in your car when an accident is caused by a driver who does not have bodily injury coverage.
  • Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM) protects you when the party causing the accident has insurance, but has exhausted the policy limits and does not have sufficient bodily injury coverage.

Uninsured and Underinsured Insurance is Especially Important in Severe Crashes

Uninsured and underinsured insurance is especially important in severe accidents resulting in extensive hospital and medical bills. If an uninsured driver strikes your car, but has no insurance, your uninsured coverage will protect you to the amount of your policy limits for medical expenses, future medical expenses, lost earnings, future lost earnings, pain and suffering, loss of the ability to enjoy life, disability and more. You are covered whether you are driving your own vehicle or another vehicle. Underinsured insurance will cover you for the same things as uninsured once the other party’s insurance limits have been exhausted.

Attorney J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo Represents Clients in Uninsured and Underinsured Insurance Matters

Attorney J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo is a personal injury attorney with extensive experience in insurance matters. In fact, Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo was a claims adjuster in Miami, representing insurance companies. He gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience in that position but quickly realized his legal skills could best be utilized helping accident victims, not insurance companies. As Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo said, “I realized that my heart was not in representing the Goliaths of the world… From day one in my practice, it has been about representing the “Davids” of the world.”

If you were involved in an automobile, truck or motorcycle accident, it is highly advisable to consult with an experienced, effective and compassionate auto accident attorney who can help you in all aspects of your case. If you have uninsured and underinsured coverage and were injured by a driver without insurance, Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo will zealously pursue the maximum amount of compensation for you. If you do not have uninsured and underinsured, but have minimal coverage, Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo will help you pursue the maximum amount of compensation possible from your insurance company.

The Law Offices of J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo, P.A., Represents Clients in All Personal Injury Cases and Car Accidents

Attorney J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo and the attorneys at The Law Offices of J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo, P.A., represents clients in all personal injury cases, including car, truck, motorcycle, commercial vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian accidents. All cases are accepted on a contingency fee basis, which means there are no legal fees unless your case is resolved via an insurance settlement or a court award. If you are recovering from an accident and cannot leave the hospital or your home, one of the attorneys will gladly come to you for a no-obligation case review.

You can reach Miami Personal Injury and Property Damage Insurance Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email J.P. directly at [email protected].


Insurance Information Institute

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment