Miami and Florida Deadly Child Products Cases Attorney J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo
There is nothing more important to parents than the health, safety and well-being of their children. Unfortunately, every year in Miami, and throughout Florida and the rest of the country, thousands of children die from unintentional injuries and millions more are treated in emergency hospital rooms. Ironically, many of these deaths and injuries are a result of using products that were specifically designed for infants, babies, children and teenagers.
If your child was injured or lost their life as a result of using a defective, recalled or otherwise dangerous product, you may potentially pursue significant compensation in a product liability lawsuit. Parents of deceased children may potentially pursue significant compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit. Attorney J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo represents victims of deadly and dangerous items. A free case review is available with Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo to discuss your options. There is no obligation whatsoever for this consultation.
Common Causes of Death and Injuries in Children from Using Dangerous and Deadly Products
- Struck by object
- Object falls on child
- Hit by projectile
Examples of Deadly and Dangerous Products
There are literally millions of dangerous and deadly products, toys, objects and items in use and circulation right now. Many are on the shelves in stores and available for sale at this moment. Others are being manufactured as you read this. While many others have been recalled or are no longer manufactured, they are still available and are often resold in flea markets, garage sales and online. Ebay and Craigslist list thousands of dangerous items every day. What may be considered a “collector’s item” may in fact be a potentially deadly toy.
Here are some examples of deadly and dangerous children’s products, toys and items:
- Drop side cribs – crib side falls down and can strangle, suffocate or cut baby or can cause fractures when neck, hand, finger, leg, foot or toes are struck
- Bumpers in cribs – products with plush material can suffocate baby
- Sleep positioners – suffocation can easily occur
- Baby changing tables –those that have less than four sides have resulted in baby falls, leading to death or severe injury
- Sling carriers – can suffocate baby or result in baby falling to ground
- Infant bath seats – baby can fall over, hit tub floor, drown in an inch of water
- “Bumbo” seat –similar to a bath seat in that the baby can fall, injure head or body, or drown
- Bathtubs – most children’s drownings in the house occur in the bathtub
- Baby walkers – more than 14,000 children are injured yearly from falling down stairs, bumping into walls and other objects and otherwise using these dangerous baby walkers
More deadly and dangerous products:
- Baby monitors – those with cords can result in strangulation
- Humidifiers and vaporizers – hot steam can result in severe burns or worse
- Jogging strollers – looks fun but baby can fall out relatively easily, resulting in severe injury or death. Also, baby can suffocate while parent unknowingly pushes stroller. Also, baby is jolted – often harshly. Since parent is behind stroller and can’t see, they may be unaware.
- Baby and child car seats – a common source of harm when not properly designed or manufactured
- Strollers, high chairs and other items – defective baby chairs and harnesses can result in falls
- Collapsing playpens – child is trapped inside when it falls, can result in suffocation, injury or death
- Baby chairs that “attach” to counter – defective latches result in falls, injuries and deaths
- Easy Bake Oven – this popular toy resulted in finger amputations and burns when children’s hands get caught in the oven
- Flammable clothing and bedding – fabrics and materials should be fireproof
- Homeopathic teething products – allegedly was manufactured with poisonous belladonna, leading to ten deaths and 1,000 or more sick children. Manufactured by Hyland, they deny charges.
- Batteries – can overheat and explode
More deadly and dangerous products:
- Magnets – there have been countless injuries and deaths resulting from children swallowing attractive looking, high powered magnets. Surgery is often required to remove from digestive system.
- Stuffed animals – yes, even stuffed animals can suffocate or choke a child when the toy’s leg or tail is placed in mouth
- Pointed or pointy objects can result in loss of an eye or punctured skin
- Rollerblades and roller skates – common and “fun,” but often results in broken bones, head injuries, skin tear and fractures. Helmets should be worn.
- Bicycles – unfortunately, bicycles result in countless injuries and deaths. Helmets should always be worn by children.
- Balancing skateboards – also known as “hover boards,” these items result in falls, broken bones and potential death. Requires a high level of balance and skill – young children are especially at risk.
- Laser toys and lights - can cause severe damage to eyes
- Balloons – balloons are often swallowed by children and can lead to choking and death
- String and cord – common household string can result in strangulation or choking
- Drawstrings on children’s clothing – can result in strangulation or suffocation
- Plastic bags – suffocation if placed over the head or swallowed
Extremely Dangerous and Potentially Deadly Products
- Trampolines – trampolines are extremely attractive and desirable to children of all ages. Unfortunately, they have resulted in so many injuries that the American Academy of Pediatrics insists that parents not let their children use them. Contrary to popular belief, the so called “safety net” surrounding trampolines do little to help children avoid falls, broken bones, head injuries, paralysis, and even death. When two or more children bounce at once – as is common, but unsafe – more injuries result due to balance loss.
- Inflatable toy pools – these common backyard items often result in drowning and other injuries
- Swimming pools – obviously not a child’s toy, but unfortunately, drownings are common. So are falls, slips, injuries, and drain suction leading to drowning. Protective fences, pool enclosures and pool tops designed to keep children out of water do not always work as intended to.
- Fireworks – one of the most dangerous of all products, children simply should not be able to purchase, use or handle fireworks. But they do. Fireworks often result in burns, amputations, eye injuries and death.
- Projectile toys – these “toys” are not really toys – they are weapons. Darts and launchers can easily result in extreme injuries including blindness and death.
Dangerous Products and Items That Should NEVER Be in the Hands of Children
- Guns and rifles – these are the deadliest of all and should never be handled by a child. Firearms and ammunition should always be locked and hidden from children.
- Bows and arrows – arrows are deadly; as well, finger, hand and eye injuries result from bow strings
- Drugs and medicine – obviously, keep these away from children; countless poisonings and deaths
- Prescribed medicine – many prescribed medications cause illness or death in children and adults. Incorrect dosages also cause harm, injury or death
- Common household cleansers – under every kitchen sink common household cleaning items can result in poisoning and death. Eye injuries, skin burns and other injuries are also common.
- Old freezers, refrigerators and appliances– doors should be removed, or suffocation and death can occur when a child gets locked in.
- Nicotine – liquid nicotine must be safely and specifically packaged, as per the Child Nicotine Poisoning Prevention Act of 2015.
- Cigarettes - for obvious reasons, keep out of the hands of children.
- Matches and lighters – common products but some of the most dangerous and deadly.
Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo Represents Victims of Deadly and Dangerous Child Products
It is obvious from reviewing the list above that there seems to be no end to dangerous and deadly products. When a product such as a stroller, crib or toy is used as it is supposed to and results in an injury or fatality, the parent has the right to pursue compensation from the responsible party or parties. There are basically three types of defects:
- Defects in design – product designed in a defective manner by designer, engineer or creator
- Defect in manufacturing – product may have been properly designed, but at one or more points in the manufacturing process, defects occurred
- Defect in marketing – improper, incomplete, inaccurate information as to potential danger, or instructions or information may lack information how to use the product properly.
It is important to understand that even if you did not purchase the deadly or dangerous product, you may still pursue compensation for the resulting injuries or fatality. For example, if you borrowed your friend’s baby seat but it collapsed, injuring or killing your child, you may still potentially pursue compensation from the designer, manufacturer, seller and/or other responsible parties.
Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo may pursue compensation under the theory of negligence, strict liability, and/or breach of warranty of fitness. Suffice it to say that he will pursue compensation in the manner that is most efficacious for you and the case. Strict liability is often utilized because basically all that needs to be proven is that the product was defective. Compensation may then be sought from the designer, manufacturer, distributor, seller or a combination of these and other parties. Some cases require the use of expert witnesses, case investigators, product and design engineers and others to prove that the design or manufacturing aspect was negligent. Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo utilizes the most highly skilled professionals in these instances.
No Legal Fees Unless Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo Successfully Resolves your Dangerous Child Products Case
Every case is unique and the amount and type of compensatory damages will depend on its unique circumstances. These may include medical expenses, future medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and much more. When a parent pursues a wrongful death case, there are numerous types of damages they may pursue. Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo will sit down with you and compassionately explain this to you in your personal consultation. He understands your pain and grief and will fight for your rights and appropriate compensation.
There are no legal fees unless Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo and his staff of attorneys successfully resolve your case through a settlement or court award. His fee will then come out of the settlement or award.
You can reach Miami Personal Injury Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email J.P. directly at [email protected].