It's never too early to begin preparing for hurricane season. Below are some tips in this regard.
BEFORE A HURRICANE:
- Create a family plan, including options where you may stay during a storm.
- Locate and review homeowner's insurance policy or renter's insurance policy. If you're a business owner, do the same.
- Inquire where nearest hurricane shelter is located.
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed and safely store all loose yard items.
WHEN A HURRICANE WATCH IS ISSUED:
- Fuel all cars.
- Purchase extra fuel and safely store in approved containers.
- If you own a home generator, purchase necessary fuel. Read owner's manual and follow all safety guidelines.
- It is advised that you get cash, since after a hurricane many banks are closed; ATM machines are broken or simply run out of cash.
- Stock up on supplies, including food, water, personal hygiene, equipment, and other supplies. Ensure you purchase battery operated items, such as a radio, TV, flashlight, etc.
- Anchor yard items that are too heavy to move or bring into your garage or home.
- If you own a boat or other watercraft, ensure that it is secured and anchored.
- Ensure you shutter or board your windows.
- Since you may lose electricity to your home for many days, it is recommended that you adjust the temperature in your refrigerator and freezer to its coldest temperature.
- Secure your valuables and important documents in waterproof containers.
DURING A HURRICANE:
- If you decide to ride out the storm in your home, stay indoors and away from windows. Try to stay in a small interior room, closet or hallway.
- Keep all interiors doors closed.
AFTER A HURRICANE
- Stay away from downed power lines. Call FPL immediately.
- Use charcoal and gas grills only outside.
- Operate any home generator only outside your home due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or death if operated inside your home.
- Do not call 911 except for life-threatening situations.
- Avoid driving due to flood like conditions and dangerous debris.
- Treat any intersection as a "Four Way Stop Sign."
You can reach Miami Hurricane Insurance Claims Lawyer J.P. Gonzalez-Sirgo by dialing his direct number at (786) 272-5841, calling the main office at (305) 461-1095, or Toll Free at 1 (866) 71-CLAIM or email Attorney Gonzalez-Sirgo directly at [email protected].